- The purpose of this engagement was to understand the concerns, aspirations and priorities for Ngāti Toa whanau in order to help guide the direction that TROTR should take in helping their whānau thrive.
- Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira (TROTR) undertook a housing demand survey exploring the barriers that their people face when it comes to housing, and what their aspirations are as an iwi.
- TUA helped to craft the housing survey in a way that was specific to Ngāti Toa’s desires.
- A series of hui were organised across the rohe to have direct kōrero led by Ngāti Toa.
- The survey directly informed the formation of the objectives and focus areas for Ngāti Toa's housing and broader goals of the rohe in the future.
- Two priorities were highlighted for Ngāti Toa whānau surveyed:
- Home ownership was the biggest aspiration and affordability is the biggest barrier to home ownership.
- And, a desire for better access to knowledge and education about home ownership, including employment and career options, and different pathways to home ownership.
TUA contributed through our expertise in how to build an evidence-based engagement survey. This evidence-base gathering is key to unlocking sustainably built communities as the strategies further developed are seeded from a true community voice.